Wednesday, May 21, 2008

How to adjust the auto-hide delay in Gnome panels

Gnome configuration editor - adjusting autohide delay for Gnome panels

You may have enabled the auto-hide feature in your Gnome panel(s), probably at least the bottom one if you are used to Windows. I did, but it takes too long to hide. Fortunately, like almost everything else in the Linux world, the auto hide and unhide delay can be adjusted. See my last post on the Gnome Configuration Editor for instructions.

What next?
If you have a problem or question, leave a comment, I'll be glad to help. I'm still new at Ubuntu, too - but it may be that I've already been where you're at.
For more Ubuntu tips, tricks and software, subscribe to my feed. Or use the Bookmark button below to find your way back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - and thanks for the tip. Is it possible to speed up the icons in the menu? Very often the menu opens, and 1s. or 2 later the icons shows.

wrgb said...

Hi, I don't know the answer to this offhand - I don't find a setting in the Gnome configuration editor. Check back tomorrow and hopefully I'll have an answer.

wrgb said...

I found some info on this problem in the Ubuntu forums. This should only be happening to you the first time you use the menus after startup - it's because the icons are not cached in memory to begin with and have to be read from disk the first time. I see only a very slight (maybe 1/4 second delay) the first time on my machine, a P4 2.4GHz with 512MB ram. See this forum post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=215119 for instructions how to improve the situation. Reply #1 talks about the menu popup delay, and replies #17 & #28 specifically address the problem you're having.

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2007